For heartburn relief, over-the-counter antacids (such as Tums, Mylanta, Rolaids, and Maalox) are all considered safe medications to use during pregnancy.
What heartburn medicine can you take while pregnant?
- Gas-X/Simethiconem, Tagamet,
- Pepcid, Prilosec, Prevacid (If no relief from Tums or Rolaids)
Which antacids are safe during pregnancy?
During pregnancy, do not use antacids that have sodium bicarbonate (such as baking soda), because they can cause fluid buildup. Do not use antacids that have magnesium trisilicate, because they may not be safe for your baby. It is okay to use antacids that have calcium carbonate (such as Tums).
What can I eat that won’t give me heartburn while pregnant?
Soups, smoothies, yogurt, milkshakes, protein shakes, and puddings are good choices. Look for liquids that offer plenty of protein, such as milk and drinkable yogurt, and aim to make solids a little less so: “chew solid foods slowly and extremely well, until they’re almost liquefied,” Brandeis adds.
What helps heartburn naturally while pregnant?
The following tips may help relieve your heartburn:
- Eat smaller meals more frequently and avoid drinking while eating. …
- Eat slowly and chew every bite thoroughly.
- Avoid eating a few hours before bed.
- Avoid foods and beverages that trigger your heartburn. …
- Stay upright for at least one hour after a meal.
Is TUMS safe for pregnancy?
TUMS provides safe heartburn relief for women who are pregnant. TUMS also adds calcium to your body. When you are pregnant, your body may need between 1,000 mg and 1,300 mg of elemental calcium per day. Be sure to take TUMS at a different time than you take iron supplements.
How can I prevent heartburn during pregnancy?
How can heartburn during pregnancy be prevented?
- Eat several small meals throughout the day instead of three large ones.
- Eat slowly.
- Drink between your meals, but not with meals.
- Avoid fried, spicy or fatty foods.
- Avoid citrus fruits and juices.
- Limit caffeine.
- Don’t smoke and avoid alcohol.
How can I stop acid reflux during pregnancy?
Things you can do to help with indigestion and heartburn
- Eat healthily. You’re more likely to get indigestion if you’re very full. …
- Change your eating and drinking habits. You may be able to control your indigestion with changes to your eating habits. …
- Keep upright. Sit up straight when you eat. …
- Stop smoking. …
- Avoid alcohol.
Why does everything give me heartburn while pregnant?
Heartburn is common during pregnancy. Pregnancy hormones can make the valve at the entrance to the stomach relax so that it doesn’t close as it should. This lets acidic stomach contents move up into the esophagus, a condition known as gastroesophageal reflux (GER), or acid reflux.
What gives you heartburn during pregnancy?
During pregnancy, the hormone progesterone causes the valve to relax, which can increase the frequency of heartburn. This allows stomach acid to pass into the esophagus and irritate the lining.