Try not to worry too much if you’ve been told that carrying twins means your pregnancy is high-risk.
Most mums who are expecting twins give birth to healthy babies .
Serious complications are relatively rare.
But some complications, such as premature birth, are more common in twin pregnancies .
- 1 Is twin pregnancy high risk?
- 2 What qualifies as a high risk pregnancy?
- 3 Is one prenatal vitamin enough for twins?
- 4 What percentage of twin pregnancies miscarry?
- 5 Do twins have lower IQ?
- 6 Can you carry twins to 40 weeks?
- 7 What are some bad signs during pregnancy?
- 8 At what age does pregnancy become high risk?
- 9 What are the danger signs in pregnancy?
- 10 What should you not do when pregnant with twins?
- 11 How long can Twins stay in the womb?
- 12 Can folic acid cause twins?
Is twin pregnancy high risk?
Risk of Prematurity
Twin pregnancies have a higher risk for prematurity, which means birth that occurs after 20 weeks but before 37 weeks gestation. Just 40 percent of twin pregnancies go full term. The average twin pregnancy is 35 weeks, compared to the average singleton pregnancy, which is 39 weeks.
What qualifies as a high risk pregnancy?
A “high-risk” pregnancy means a woman has one or more things that raise her — or her baby’s — chances for health problems or preterm (early) delivery. A woman’s pregnancy might be considered high risk if she: has high blood pressure, diabetes, depression, or another health problem.
Is one prenatal vitamin enough for twins?
If you’re pregnant with twins, you should take the same prenatal vitamins you would take for any pregnancy, but your physician will recommend extra folic acid and iron.
What percentage of twin pregnancies miscarry?
According to one study where ultrasounds were performed early on in pregnancy, about 9 percent of twin pregnancies result in the loss of both babies, and in 27 percent of twin pregnancies, one of the babies is miscarried.
Do twins have lower IQ?
For IQ scores, twins scored 0.09 points lower than non-twins at age 8 and 0.83 points lower at 10. However, twins scored higher at age 12 by 0.14 points. Using the family-based adult sample, no differences in IQ scores were found between twins and their singleton siblings.
Can you carry twins to 40 weeks?
Most twins arrive between the 36th and 37th weeks of pregnancy; it is rare they go the full 40 weeks.
What are some bad signs during pregnancy?
7 Pregnancy Warning Signs
- Severe Nausea and Vomiting.
- Baby’s Activity Level Significantly Declines.
- Contractions Early in the Third Trimester.
- Your Water Breaks.
- A Persistent Severe Headache, Abdominal Pain, Visual Disturbances, and Swelling During Your Third Trimester.
- Flu Symptoms.
At what age does pregnancy become high risk?
One of the most common risk factors for a high-risk pregnancy is the age of the mother-to-be. Women who will be under age 17 or over age 35 when their baby is due are at greater risk of complications than those between their late teens and early 30s.
What are the danger signs in pregnancy?
DANGER SIGNS DURING PREGNANCY
- vaginal bleeding.
- severe headaches with blurred vision.
- fever and too weak to get out of bed.
- severe abdominal pain.
- fast or difficult breathing.
What should you not do when pregnant with twins?
Here are ten things to avoid doing while pregnant with twins or multiples.
- Take Risks. Getty Images/M Swiet Productions.
- Eat Too Little. Getty Images/JGI/Jamie Grill.
- Eat Too Much. Getty Images/Gavin Kingcome Photography.
- Become Dehydrated.
- Exercise Excessively.
- Party Hard.
- Soak In a Hot Tub.
- Clean the Cat Box.
How long can Twins stay in the womb?
Twins are usually born around 36 weeks — four weeks early.
Can folic acid cause twins?
Folic acid may raise chance of twins. Pregnant women who take the recommended folic acid supplements may be more likely to have twins, say researchers in Sweden. In the US, the compulsory addition of folic acid to breakfast cereals and wholemeal bread since 1998 has reduced the incidence of spina bifida by 19 per cent.
Photo in the article by “Wikimedia Commons”