Pepto-Bismol is an over-the-counter medication used to relieve an upset stomach, heartburn, and diarrhea.
It is usually safe to use when not pregnant.
However, many medications can cross the placenta, making them unsafe during pregnancy.
- 1 Can you take Pepto Bismol when pregnant?
- 2 What category is Pepto Bismol in pregnancy?
- 3 What stomach medicine is safe during pregnancy?
- 4 What can I take for diarrhea while pregnant?
- 5 Can I take Tums while pregnant?
- 6 What can I take to settle my stomach while pregnant?
- 7 Can I take Sudafed when pregnant?
- 8 Is Category C safe during pregnancy?
- 9 Can you take Claritin while pregnant?
- 10 What happens if you take Pepto Bismol while pregnant?
- 11 Which drugs should be avoided during pregnancy?
- 12 What are four environmental hazards that can affect a fetus?
- 13 Is diarrhea dangerous in pregnancy?
- 14 What are signs of having a boy?
- 15 Is diarrhea bad when pregnant?
Can you take Pepto Bismol when pregnant?
The active ingredient in Pepto-Bismol is bismuth subsalicylate. According to a 2014 review in American Family Physician, you should avoid taking Pepto-Bismol during the second and third trimesters of your pregnancy. This is because it raises your risk of bleeding problems when you take it closer to delivery.
What category is Pepto Bismol in pregnancy?
OTC Antidiarrheal Medications in Pregnancy
|Drug name||FDA pregnancy risk classification by trimester (1st/2nd/3rd)||Drug class|
|Kaolin and pectin (Kaopectate)||B/B/B||Antidiarrheal|
|Bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto Bismol)||C/C/D||Antidiarrheal|
What stomach medicine is safe during pregnancy?
Fortunately, there are many medications that are safe during pregnancy.
Medicine for Digestive Upsets
- Antacids (Tums, Rolaids, Mylanta, Maalox, Pepcid, Prevacid, Zantac)
- Simethicone (Gas-X, Mylicon for gas pain, Gaviscon)
- Immodium or BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast or tea) for diarrhea.
What can I take for diarrhea while pregnant?
In fact, you should use either a kaolin-and-pectin- (Kaopectate) or loperamide- (Imodium) type medication if you’re having bad diarrhea, because otherwise you could become seriously dehydrated and put your baby at risk.
Can I take Tums while pregnant?
TUMS provides safe heartburn relief for women who are pregnant. TUMS also adds calcium to your body. When you are pregnant, your body may need between 1,000 mg and 1,300 mg of elemental calcium per day. Be sure to take TUMS at a different time than you take iron supplements.
What can I take to settle my stomach while pregnant?
Keep something in your stomach at all times. Crackers, cereal, ginger tea or fruit can all help settle your stomach. Avoid greasy foods, and foods with strong flavors or smells. If you’re vomiting, remember to re-hydrate with fluids.
Can I take Sudafed when pregnant?
Taking Sudafed when you’re pregnant is tricky. Some doctors are OK with their pregnant patients taking Sudafed, as long as it’s not during the first trimester and you don’t also suffer from hypertension. Other doctors may advise completely against taking the decongestant during pregnancy.
Is Category C safe during pregnancy?
Animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks.
Can you take Claritin while pregnant?
Rest assured that after years of research on animals and humans, Claritin has been classified as safe to use during pregnancy. Antihistamines like Chlor-Trimeton and Benadryl are also deemed safe for pregnant women to take.
What happens if you take Pepto Bismol while pregnant?
The main concern around taking any medication during pregnancy is the absence of research on safety. Pepto-Bismol may not be safe to use during pregnancy because, as with aspirin, it is a salicylate. This group of medications is anti-inflammatory and known to have effects related to bleeding.
Which drugs should be avoided during pregnancy?
What medicines should you avoid during pregnancy?
- Bismuth subsalicylate (such as Pepto-Bismol).
- Phenylephrine or pseudoephedrine, which are decongestants.
- Cough and cold medicines that contain guaifenesin.
- Pain medicines like aspirin and ibuprofen (such as Advil and Motrin) and naproxen (such as Aleve).
What are four environmental hazards that can affect a fetus?
5 Environmental Hazards During Pregnancy:
- Cleaning Products:  Risk: Cleaning products often contain a substance called glycol ether that is present in oven cleaners and window cleaners.
- Pesticides:  Risk:
- Cell Phone Radiation:  Risk:
- Cosmetics:  Risk:
- Lead:  Risk:
Is diarrhea dangerous in pregnancy?
You can lose a significant amount of fluids when experiencing diarrhea during pregnancy. Dehydration can be serious, even deadly. You will need to make sure you are re-hydrating yourself. Diarrhea is rarely life-threatening, but it shouldn’t be taken too lightly, especially while pregnant.
What are signs of having a boy?
20 Ways to Tell if You Are Pregnant with a Boy
- Baby’s heart rate is slower than 140 beats per minute.
- Morning sickness that’s not too bad.
- Lustrous hair and skin.
- If it’s all out front.
- A hankering for chips, not ice cream.
- Big appetite.
- Keeping it on the downlow.
- The wedding ring spin.
Is diarrhea bad when pregnant?
Diarrhea during pregnancy
Digestive difficulties, such as constipation and diarrhea, may occur frequently during pregnancy. Blame it on shifting hormones, changes in diet, and added stress. The fact is, pregnant women deal with diarrhea quite a lot, and if they aren’t cautious, it can cause problems.
Photo in the article by “Flickr”