Is Robitussin DM Safe to Take During Pregnancy? Robitussin DM is a cough remedy containing guaifenesin to loosen mucus and dextromethorphan, a medication to suppress coughing. Both ingredients are safe to use during pregnancy.
What cough medicine can I take in the first trimester?
Safe options include:
- plain cough syrup, such as Vicks.
- dextromethorphan (Robitussin; category C) and dextromethorphan-guaifenesin (Robitussin DM; category C) cough syrups.
- cough expectorant during the day.
- cough suppressant at night.
- acetaminophen (Tylenol; category B) to relieve pain and fever.
14 сент. 2018 г.
Can Robitussin cause miscarriage?
Does taking dextromethorphan increase the chance of miscarriage? Miscarriage can occur in any pregnancy. Studies on women have not been done to see if taking dextromethorphan could increase the chance for a miscarriage.
Is dextromethorphan safe during first trimester?
Nonpharmacologic treatment similar to that of guaifenesin can be recommended. Dextromethorphan is equipotent to codeine as an antitussive and is a pregnancy category C medication. Dextromethorphan exposure in the first trimester has been studied, and no increased risk of malformations was detected.
Can Robitussin cause birth defects?
Effects of Dextromethorphan on a Fetus
Taking dextromethorphan as directed will not cause a fetus to have birth defects.
What cold medicine is safe for pregnancy?
Common Cold Medicine and Pregnancy: The Safe List
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
- Diphenhydramine (Benadryl)
- Pseudoephedrine (Sudafed)
- Loratadine (Claritin)
- Zinc lozenges.
- Chloraseptic spray (but a salt water gargle is just as effective, with no risks)
26 авг. 2009 г.
Will coughing affect early pregnancy?
Does coughing during pregnancy harm the baby? Coughing during pregnancy doesn’t harm the baby, as it isn’t a dangerous symptom and the baby doesn’t feel it.
What meds are OK to take while pregnant?
Which Medications Are Safe During Pregnancy?
- Safe to take: Regular and extra-strength Tylenol (acetaminophen)
- Safe to take: Metamucil, Colace, Citracel, Milk of Magnesia, Dulcolax.
- Safe to take: Tums, Maalox, Mylanta, Pepcid.
- Safe to take: Penicillin.
- Safe to take: Monistat, Gynelotrimin.
11 июн. 2015 г.
How can I get pregnant with Robitussin?
Drinking Robitussin before you ovulate will make you more fertile. The theory is that guaifenesin, the expectorant ingredient in Robitussin, will help thin your cervical mucus in the same way it thins the mucus in your lungs, making it easier for the sperm to swim through your cervix and reach the egg.
What pregnancy category is dextromethorphan?
OTC Decongestants, Expectorants, and Nonselective Antihistamines in Pregnancy
|Drug name||FDA pregnancy risk classification||Drug class|
|Dextromethorphan hydrobromide (Benylin DM)||C||Non-narcotic antitussive|
|Clemastine fumarate (Tavist)||B||Antihistamine|
Is DayQuil safe while pregnant?
Decongestants like Sudafed and DayQuil are generally cautioned against after the first trimester and only in a limited amount. Avoid non-steroidal nasal sprays containing oxymetazoline. Don’t take supplemental vitamins or herbal remedies without medical approval.
What medications are not safe during pregnancy?
What medicines should you avoid during pregnancy?
- Bismuth subsalicylate (such as Pepto-Bismol).
- Phenylephrine or pseudoephedrine, which are decongestants. …
- Cough and cold medicines that contain guaifenesin. …
- Pain medicines like aspirin and ibuprofen (such as Advil and Motrin) and naproxen (such as Aleve).
What is Pregnancy Category C mean?
Animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks.
Is mucinex safe for pregnancy?
Mucinex is likely safe to take while breastfeeding and during the second and third trimesters of pregnancy. Before taking any medication while pregnant or breastfeeding, it’s a good idea to talk to your doctor first.