If you’re dealing with an overly sleepy baby, you’ll first need to make sure there are no medical issues causing them to sleep all the time. Jaundice, infections, and any medical procedures, such as circumcision, can make your baby sleepier than usual. Your pediatrician will check if your baby is gaining enough weight.
Should I be worried if my baby is sleeping more than usual?
Sleeping or napping more can be strong indicators of a perfectly healthy baby. They may be growing at a typical rate experiencing due growth spurts, recovering from illness, or merely teething. Infants grow at a rapid pace, and rest is an imperative component to getting what children need to fuel their changes.
Is my newborn lethargic or just sleepy?
Lethargic or listless babies appear to have little or no energy. They are drowsy or sluggish. They may also sleep longer than usual. They may be hard to wake for feedings and even when awake, are not alert or attentive to sounds and visual cues.
What are signs of a lethargic baby?
- Your young child is lethargic if she stares into space or won’t smile. She won’t play at all or hardly responds to you. Your child is too weak to cry or hard to wake up. These are serious symptoms.
- Note: Sleeping more when sick is normal. When awake, your child should be alert.
How do you know if my baby is still alive inside me?
Symptoms are things you feel yourself that others can’t see, like having a sore throat or feeling dizzy. The most common symptom of stillbirth is when you stop feeling your baby moving and kicking. Others include cramps, pain or bleeding from the vagina.
What are signs of lethargy?
What are the symptoms of lethargy?
- changes in mood.
- decreased alertness or decreased ability to think.
- low energy.
How do I know when my baby is having a growth spurt?
A baby who is suddenly hungrier and crankier than usual could be showing signs of a growth spurt. If your baby seems to fit that sweet little onesie one day, and have it busting at the seams the next, it may not be your sleep-deprived eyes playing tricks on you.
What is sleepy baby syndrome?
Sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) is the unexplained death, usually during sleep, of a seemingly healthy baby less than a year old. SIDS is sometimes known as crib death because the infants often die in their cribs.
Is my baby in pain or just fussy?
Your child may eat less or become fussy or restless. Crying that can’t be comforted. Crying, grunting, or breath-holding. Facial expressions, such as a furrowed brow, a wrinkled forehead, closed eyes, or an angry appearance.
What do newborns do all day?
Newborn babies seem to mostly sleep, eat, cry and poo. But as you and your baby get to know each other and bond in your early days together, your day will also involve cuddling and playtime.
What are the first signs of RSV?
The most common symptoms of RSV include:
- Runny nose.
- Short periods without breathing (apnea)
- Trouble eating, drinking, or swallowing.
- Flaring of the nostrils or straining of the chest or stomach while breathing.
- Breathing faster than usual, or trouble breathing.
How do you wake up a lethargic baby?
If your baby is sleepy, try these rousing techniques at mealtime:
- Feed when your baby is in an active sleep period — or REM sleep. …
- Slowly unswaddle him. …
- Change his diaper while you sing a song or stroke his hands and the soles of his feet.
- Hold your baby upright, which usually causes newborns to open their eyes.
Should I let my sick child sleep all day?
You’re best to let them sleep as much as they need to if your schedule allows. Also while kids are sick, they may wake up more frequently. This is usually due to discomfort from a congested head, tummy ache, etc.